What is a Mummy MOT®?
The MummyMOT® is a detailed Post-natal Physiotherapy assessment of the abdominal and pelvic area, from 6 weeks postnatally (though still beneficial years later!)
We believe your body deserves to receive as much care & attention as your baby's.
It will check your posture, breathing, tummy gap and pelvic floor strength.
Following the assessment, you will receive an appropriate safe exercise programme tailored to you, and a report of the findings and advice given.
Who needs a Mummy MOT®?
In brief, most Postnatal women would benefit from a Mummy MOT!
It is very common for women to have postural changes, and weakness in their tummy or pelvic floor muscles after having had a baby. These weaknesses create instability, muscle imbalances, and poor core strength around the pelvis, which can cause back pain, pelvic pain, bladder and bowel weakness (leaking) and pelvic organ prolapse.
Identifying these muscle imbalances as early as possible can help avoid or reduce these symptoms.
Many women also feel that they want their body checked before returning to sport postnatally.
What does the Mummy MOT include at Sussex Physio Pilates?
- 1-hour detailed post-natal assessment of your abdominal and pelvic area with Claire Yuill - fully qualified Chartered Physiotherapist and Mummy MOT Practitioner.
- Check of your posture, breathing, tummy muscles, including any tummy gap (RAD – Rectus Abdominis Diastasis) and your pelvic floor strength (including optional internal assessment)
- Assessment of any physical problems of these areas from pregnancy and birth
- Advice and tailored safe post-natal exercises to improve stability, posture and core strength
- A Written Report of findings and advice.
- Appointment available from 6 weeks postnatally (after your GP check).
- The appointment will last 1 hour.
- The cost is £80, which includes the written report.
- You are asked to fill in a pre-screen health questionnaire at least 24 hours prior to attending (so your Physio can gain information about you).
- Information regarding internal (vaginal) pelvic floor assessment will be sent to you prior to your appointment.
- You are welcome to bring your baby with you if needed, but you may find your focus is reduced.
- Please feel free to bring a chaperone along with you if you wish.
After Your Mummy MOT®...
"After attending your Mummy MOT®, your Physiotherapist may recommend (if appropriate to you) the options of home exercises, Physiotherapy or Clinical Pilates follow ups, Group Pilates and/or working with a Personal Fitness Coach.
Mummy MOT® Practitioners work closely with Holistic Core Restore® Fitness Professionals, who are specially trained in Women's health with Burrell Education.
The Holistic Core Program continues on from the Mummy MOT® to improve functional strength for Mums while retraining the Pelvic Floor and reducing Diastasis Recti.
We are happy to recommend our local Holistic Core Restore® Coach Erica at Sussex Fitness.
Once your core is retrained to a good functional level, Erica from Sussex Fitness also runs boot camps that work you hard, but at the same time protect your pelvic health. There is no high impact work and it is suitable for all levels of fitness.